Monday, June 1, 2009

How Big Jim Paints Yellow



I received a couple of requests for the Yellow paint recipe I used on the Ven Dreads pack marking.

First off I always paint yellow over a grey base coat, any mid toned grey will work. I find that painting over a grey base helps keep the color of the yellows with little to no distortion, I use Vallejo medium sea grey.

I use Vallejo Goldbrown as the first step of yellow this will give you a solid foundation for your yellow paint, and give you a shading color for those little recesses that may be in your yellow surface. Once this is dry I paint the entire area with Vallejo Yellow Ochre, this is the base yellow that all your highlights will be built up on.

The first highlight is a one to mix of Vallejo Yellow Ochre and Flat yellow, this should cover one third of the yellow surface. The second highlight is Flat Yellow covering about half of the previous highlight. The final highlight is 3 parts Flat Yellow to one part Ivory; this is placed at the edge of the entire yellow surface.

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Big Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment